Mrs. Doris Cashmer and Mrs. Lucille Owens prepare high-speed X-ray apparatus for photographing a bullet in motion in a gun barrel at the Frankford Arsenal Laboratory, Philadelphia, PA, circa 1944.
Close Window

Two women pose with machinery for publicity photograph.

Credit: Courtesy of the Pennsylvania State Archives

Opened in 1816, Philadelphia's Frankford Arsenal during World War II was one of the Army's four master depots, which stocked material for quick delivery to troops and the Army's more depots. It also developed and manufactured small arms ammunition, and a range of instruments and gauges. During the war the Arsenal employed more than 20,000, including many women. The Arsenal finally closed for government use in 1977.

Back to Top