magnifier
Image
magbottom
 
Friends Meeting House, (woodcut), Philadelphia, PA, circa 1830.
Close Window

Illustration from 1832 of the original Friends Meeting House and old Courthouse in Philadelphia

Credit: Courtesy of Charles Hardy

Constructed in 1712, the original Friends Meeting House sat at the corner of Second and Market Streets, just east of the courthouse (today's Independence Hall). Located in the heart of the city on valuable commercial land, the property was sold and the building demolished in 1810. When the courthouse was first constructed, a stairway, seen here, to a balcony was the usual entrance to court room. On election days, freeholders passed up one side, gave their votes, and exited in the opposite direction, to maintain good order.

Back to Top