Fort Pitt Blockhouse
Point State Park, Pittsburgh
May 8, 1959
Among the architectural highlights of this structure are its "loopholes", the horizontal slots built into its sides for firing muskets, and its pentagonal shape, which mimicked in miniature the design of Fort Pitt.
The British ceased authorizing new construction at Fort Pitt after 1764. From then until the post's abandonment in 1772, only absolutely necessary maintenance was done, and it functioned chiefly as a market for the fur trade with the Indians.
Charles M. Stotz, Outposts of the War for Empire: The French and English in Western Pennsylvania: Their Armies, Their Forts, Their People, 1749-1764 (Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press), 1985.
Louis M. Waddell and Bruce D. Bomberger, The French and Indian War in Pennsylvania: Fortification and Struggle During the War for Empire (Harrisburg, PA: Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission), 1996.