Lake Erie Region
8th and Elk Streets (on US 322), Franklin
April 8, 1969
Fort Machault was the last stop on the supply route from Canada to Fort Duquesne. After abandoning Fort Duquesne in November 1758, the French fell back to Fort Machault, and the British expected them to launch a counterattack from there in the following campaign season. The fall of Fort Niagara in summer 1759, however, made the French presence in the Ohio Country untenable. They burned the post and retreated to Canada in anticipation of a British expedition north from the Forks of the Ohio. In 1760, the British built Fort Venango near this site.
Louis M. Waddell and Bruce D. Bomberger, The French and Indian War in Pennsylvania: Fortification and Struggle During the War for Empire (Harrisburg, PA: Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission), 1996.