Laurel Highlands/Southern Alleghenies
US 30 near site in Bedford
October 6, 1972
Fort Bedford became an important communications and supply link for Forbes's army as it moved deeper into the wilderness. Along with Fort Ligonier and Fort Pitt, it completed the east-to-west axis of the British army's fortification of western Pennsylvania. It was named for the Duke of Bedford, a member of the Crown's ministry during the Seven Years' War.
Traders, merchants, and farmers attracted to the area by the business and security offered by the fort formed the nucleus of the town of Bedford. During Pontiac's Rebellion, the fort was garrisoned by British regulars and local militia, but did not come under Indian attack.
Charles M. Stotz, Outposts of the War for Empire: The French and English in Western Pennsylvania: Their Armies, Their Forts, Their People, 1749-1764 (Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press), 1985.
Louis M. Waddell and Bruce D. Bomberger, The French and Indian War in Pennsylvania: Fortification and Struggle During the War for Empire (Harrisburg, PA: Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission), 1996.