Loaded Cars Going Out of Mine. ca. 1907
Credit: Courtesy of the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania
A coal car known as a "wagon" was used to haul raw coal from the mines to the coal breaker. Some cars were equipped with side hand brakes. Each car held approximately 5 tons of coal. All trips throughout the mine were controlled by an automatic signal system.