Rows of Anti-aircraft guns, Naval Ordnance Plant, Blaw-Knox Co., York, PA, April 11, 1944.
Close Window

Rows of Anti-aircraft guns are lined on both sides of a warehouse.

Credit: Courtesy of the Pennsylvania State Archives

In one of the most successful collaborations of the York Plan, the Blaw-Knox Company combined the resources of its Naval Ordnance Plant with a neighboring plant to manufacture 40mm anti-aircraft guns. Based in Pittsburgh, Blaw-Knox manufactured steel structures and construction equipment before the war. During WWII, the company cast armor for naval vessels, turrets for tanks, anti-aircraft gun mounts, rockets, and a wide range of other products. For its excellence in the war effort, Blaw-Knox won seven Army-Navy "E" awards.

Back to Top