Maclay Mansion, North Front and South Streets, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Close Window

Color photograph of the mansion.

Credit: Courtesy of the State Museum of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Don Giles photo

For his service during French and Indian War, William Maclay received a provincial land grant on the west branch of the Susquehanna. In 1769, Maclay married the daughter of John Harris, founder of Harris's Ferry. In 1785, along with John Harris Jr., Maclay surveyed and laid out the town of "Harrisburg," moved to his riverfront farm adjoining Harrisburg, and in 1790 built an impressive stone mansion on Front Street overlooking the Susquehanna River. Since 1950, Maclay Mansion has served as the headquarters of the Pennsylvania Bar Association.

Back to Top