magnifier
Image
magbottom
 
Espy House, Bedford, PA, circa 2003.
Close Window

Image of the Espy House, Bedford, Pa.

Credit: Courtesy of Richard Webster

Leading the southern wing of the army to put down the Whiskey Rebellion, President Washington rejoined the northern wing at the steep little mountain town of Bedford, Pennsylvania, the eastern edge of rebel territory. On October 18, 1794, Washington made the home of Colonel and Mrs. David Espy his headquarters. That evening, the army staged a patriotic display at the county courthouse. Included in it were the words, "Woe to Anarchy."

Back to Top