Map of Donations Lands in Pennsylvania
Close Window

Map showing Locations of the Donation Lands in Pennsylvania. Thos. Rees Jr. District Cession to the U.S. by New York in 1871, by Massachusetts in 1785, and by the U.S in 1792, by act of Congress in 1788, Sold to Pa by the Indians in 1789.

Credit: W.J. McKnight, M.D., A Pioneer Outline History of Northwestern Pennsylvania, J. Lippincott Co., 1905. Courtesy of Accessible Archives.

Even today, the Donation Lands given to Pennsylvania's Revolutionary soldiers remain fairly remote. Situated on the western edge of the Allegheny National Forrest, most of the Donation Lands are part of a 103-mile Wildlife Drive which passes through four mostly rural northwestern counties. The drive skirts through state game lands, Amish communities, Oil Creek State Park, and the Erie National Wildlife Refuge.

Back to Top