"Good Gulf Gasoline" filling station, Baum Boulevard and St. Clair Street, Pittsburgh, PA, circa 1913.
Credit: Courtesy Bob Beck/Gulf Oil Historical Society
In 1913, Gulf Refining Company opened the nation's first drive-in service station at the corner of Baum Boulevard and St. Clair Street in Pittsburgh. The pagoda-style brick facility offered free air, water, crankcase service, and tire and tube installation. On its first day, the station sold 30 gallons of gasoline at 27 cents per gallon. On its first Saturday, Gulf's new service station pumped 350 gallons of gasoline.