The Edgar Thomson Steel Works, by William Rau, Braddock, PA, 1891.
Credit: Courtesy of the American Premier Underwriters, Inc.,(reproduction provided by the Library Company of Philadelphia)
In 1875, Andrew Carnegie opened his first steel plant, the Edgar Thomson Works, in Braddock, Pennsylvania. Carnegie named his flagship steel mill after Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) president Edgar Thomson, his former mentor. Always looking for an advantage, Carnegie located the mill between the PRR and B&O main lines so that the two railroads would reduce their rates to win his business.