Railroad Depot at Philadelphia
Close Window

Railroad Depot at Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Germantown, Norristown Railway Depot. 
Lithograph, 1830, by William L. Breton.

Credit: Courtesy of the Atwater Kent Museum of Philadelphia

On June 6, 1832, Pennsylvania's first passenger railroad made its debut when a car drawn by horses left the depot at the corner of Ninth and Green streets on a six-mile journey to Germantown, where it arrived 45 minutes later. On November 24, an engine built by Matthias Baldwin pulled four cars loaded with passengers over the same line in just 28 minutes.

Back to Top