International Navigation Company Immigration Station, (Washington Immigration Station), Philadelphia, PA, circa 1890.
Close Window

View of International Navigation Co. Emigrant Station building at Washington Avenue landing, with train tracks leading to buildings.

Credit: Courtesy of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania

Between 1815 and 1985 1.3 million immigrants entered through the port of Philadelphia. Operating between 1873 and 1915, the Washington Avenue Immigration Station served as a portal for European passengers, many of whom connected to railroad lines that took them from Philadelphia into industrial centers across Pennsylvania.

Back to Top