magnifier
Image
magbottom
 
Bush Hill and Cholera Hospital, by Augustus K├Âllner, circa 1850.
Close Window

Exterior

Credit: Courtesy of the American Philosophical Society

When the yellow fever epidemic struck Philadelphia in 1793, people fled the city by the thousands. A suburban estate built by Philadelphia attorney Andrew Hamilton in 1740, Bush Hill was converted to a hospital. Convinced that the epidemic had been brought to Philadelphia by immigrants from Haiti, the state moved its immigration station from its location near Fort Mifflin to a downriver site near Tinicum, at a greater, and they hoped a safer distance from the city.

Back to Top