The Bakery, (on the left), Saal (center), and Saron (right) buildings at the Ephrata Cloister, Ephrata PA, circa 2005.
Close Window

Bakery Saal Saron exterior

Credit: Photo by Craig A. Benner; used by permission of Stackpole Books

At Ephrata the followers of Conrad Beissel constructed a community of German-style buildings. The women of the Ephrata Cloister, called Sisters, lived in a large dormitory called the Saron, which was attached to the central chapel, called the Saal. Ephrata Brothers lived in a separate dormitory, which was raised in 1910. After the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission took possession of the Ephrata Cloister in 1941 it restored the surviving 18th-century buildings.

Back to Top