magnifier
Image
magbottom
 
Map of Welsh Tract, Facsimile of a part of Holme's Map, showing settlers of Delaware County, PA, circa 1684.
Close Window

Fac-simile of a part of Holme's Map, showing settlers of Delaware County, PA., taken from an original. Ca. 1681

Credit: Mike Simpson, West Point, Pa.

Covering 40,000 acres west of Philadelphia when parceled in 1684, the Welsh Tract was originally settled by Welsh Quakers. Though William Penn seemed to agree the land would be its own county (or barony), it was soon partitioned into new counties. In 1701 Penn granted a second 30,000-acre tract to Welsh investors south of the original Welsh Tract.

Back to Top