The Lazaretto Quarantine Station, Tinicum PA, by T. L. Carnea, circa 1840.
flipFlip to Riverside (east) view of the Lazaretto Quarantine Station, 2009.
Close Window

Exterior landscape painting.

Credit: Courtesy of the Atwater Kent Museum of Philadelphia

Opened in 1799 in response to the yellow fever epidemics that devastated Philadelphia in 1790s, the Lazaretto Quarantine Station screened passenger vessels entering the port of Philadelphia until its closure in 1895. The well manicured lawns and empty dock depicted in this watercolor show no evidence of the tens of thousands of immigrants who entered the United States through its doors.

Back to Top