magnifier
Image
magbottom
 
The "Fitz" steel overshot water wheel, The Mill at Anselma, West Pikeland, PA, 2009.
Close Window

Steel overshot water wheel

Credit: The Mill at Anselma Preservation and Educational Trust, Inc.

Some time around 1906, mill owner Allen Simmers replaced the old wooden water wheel with this steel water wheel manufactured by the Fitz Water Wheel Company of Hanover, Pa., which pioneered the mass production of steel wheels. These were more efficient than wooden wheels due to their curvilinear buckets, which held the water longer during the rotation of the wheel and thus increased its gravitational power. More than 16 feet in diameter, the wheel at the Mill at Anselma produces 6,400 foot pounds of torque-equivalent to 13 Lamborghini sports cars. At full power it moves 2,000-3,000 gallons of water per minute.

Back to Top