magnifier
Image
magbottom
 
The Edison Hotel, Sunbury, PA, circa 1940
flipFlip to The Edison Hotel, Sunbury, PA, 2007.
Close Window

Exterior postcard

Credit: Courtesy of Charles Hardy

In 1883 Thomas Edison and his crew used Sunbury's City Hotel as their base during installation of their experimental three-wire electrical system in the town. On the night of July 4th, Edison switched on the current to a 100-candle power light over the City Hotel entrance, to the cheers of residents and marches played by a local brass band. Sunbury's City Hotel, which changed its name to the Hotel Edison soon after the lighting ceremony, remains in operation today.

Back to Top