Pennhurst State School and Hospital, East Vincent Township, PA, circa 1950.
Close Window

Exterior, front facade, and grounds

Credit: Courtesy of the Spring-Ford Area Historical Society

Established in 1908 to provide training for individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities, the Pennhurst State School became the defendant in a 1974 lawsuit alleging abuse and mistreatment that led to a groundbreaking federal court decision on civil rights and disabilities. The school closed in 1987 amidst continuing controversy of "institutionalization."

Back to Top