magnifier
Image
magbottom
 
The German Lutheran School and parish house, (center), Cherry Street at 4th, Philadelphia, PA, 1859.
Close Window

The building on street, surrounded by other buildings. Two men standing in front, leaning against a signpost. Horse in lower right-hand corner. Signs: "G. Goebel's Hotel and Lager Beer Saloon" ; "Wrigley's Hotel."

Credit: Free Library of Philadelphia

Built before 1764, the German Lutheran School served as the school and parish house for the Zion Lutheran Church and the first meeting place of the German Society of Pennsylvania. By the time this picture was taken in 1859 the building had been appropriated for commercial uses.

Back to Top