Summerseat, Bucks County, PA.
Close Window

Photo of a large two-story brick house used as Washington's headquarters in 1776.

Credit: Library of Congress

From Sunday, December 8, to Saturday December 14, 1776, General George Washington used "Mr. Berkely's Summer Seat" as his field headquarters before his surprise attack on Trenton. Constructed by Philadelphia merchant Adam Hoops in the late 1760s about ½ mile from the banks of the Delaware River, Summerseat would be owned by Philadelphia financier Robert Morris from 1781 to 1798, and then by merchant George Clymer, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

Back to Top