magnifier
Image
magbottom
 
New Wissahickon Hotel, Wissahickon Inn, from South Willow Grove Avenue, by Marriot Morris, November 8, 1884
Close Window

Image of the Inn

Credit: Courtesy of the Library Company of Philadelphia

Designed by architects George and William Hewitt, the luxurious 250-room Wissahickon Inn opened on May 30, 1884. To help attract clientele, developer Henry Houston had the Pennsylvania Railroad build a spur to its door. The Inn soon attracted patrons from up and down the East Coast, who were drawn by the beautiful landscape and wealth of activities, including boating and swimming in summer on a man-made lake.

Back to Top