magnifier
Image
magbottom
 
The Wissahickon Country Club's 8th hole, known as "The Devil's Own," circa 1910.
Close Window

"The Devils Own," the 8th hole of the Cricket Club's original 9-hole golf course, 1895.

Credit: Courtesy of the Chestnut Hill Historical Society and the Philadelphia Cricket Club.

In 1895 Henry Houston built one of Philadelphia's first golf courses for his Wissahickon Inn guests. A founding member of the Golf Association of Philadelphia, the Wissahickon Country Club hosted the United States Open golf championships in 1907 and 1910.

Back to Top