magnifier
Image
magbottom
 
A Herdic carriage, circa 1881.
flipFlip to Detail of the patent application for the Herdic carriage, 1881.
Close Window

A black and white image of a four wheeled carriage with four window openings on each side, filled with passengers, totaling eight. The carriage is operated by a uniformed driver guiding a black, harnessed horse. A sign along the top of the carriage reads: Seats /Tickets 25¢, Northern and Southern Depots.

Credit: Courtesy of the Lycoming County Historical Society and The Thomas T. Taber Museum

In 1881 Peter Herdic patented a horse-drawn carriage that could carry up to eight passengers. A predecessor of the taxicab, "Herdic" cabs were notable for their low rear entrance, which provided easier passenger entry and exit than other carriages. The first herdics were nicknamed "canaries" because of their bright yellow paint.

Back to Top