magnifier
Image
magbottom
 
Vertical portland cement kilns, Coplay Cement Company, North Main Street, Coplay, Lehigh County, PA, 1979.
flipFlip to Coplay Cement Mill A, Lehigh County, PA, 1922.
Close Window

General view showing  cement kilns.

Credit: Library of Congress

While only in operation from 1893 to 1904, these vertical cement kilns were a technological improvement over the old bottle or dome kilns used to produce portland cement. They too, however, soon became obsolete, as rotary kilns replaced the vertical kilns by 1904. Even with their top 30 feet removed, this battery of vertical portland cement kilns, the only ones still in existence, remain impressive.

Back to Top