The Pittsburgh Reduction Company as it appeared in 1888.
Close Window

Black and white drawing of the exterior of the company. A wagon with horse and driver sits at the entrance.

Credit: Courtesy of the Pennsylvania State Archives

After failing to raise funds in Ohio and New York, Charles Hall found willing investors in the thriving industrial center of Pittsburgh, PA. Soon after the beginning of operations on Thanksgiving Day 1888, Hall and his associates at the Pittsburgh Reduction Company turned their focus to the applications for aluminum. In 1901, Hall and his partners formed its own cookware subsidiary, Aluminum Cooking Utensil Company, which soon introduced "WearEver" aluminum cookware, at Wanamaker's Department Store in Philadelphia.

Back to Top