Farmer John Shreiner and his Conestoga Wagon, Lancaster County, PA, circa 1910.
Credit: Courtesy of the Landis Valley Farm Museum
Developed in Lancaster County in the early 1700s, Conestoga wagons hauled freight across Commonwealth roads for more than 150 years. After railroads replaced them as overland freight haulers, Pennsylvania farmers continued to these well built and rugged wagons well into the twentieth century. The wagon in this picture, still in use in the early 1900s, was built in 1785.