St. Charles Furnaces, Columbia, Lancaster County.
Credit: Ellis, Franklin and Samuel Evans, History of Lancaster County, 1883.
St. Charles Furnace is located on the northern boundary line of Columbia borough and on the Pennsylvania Railroad. It was built by C. B. Grubb in 1852, – stack fifty-three by fourteen, and was owned by C.B. Grubb and Son. They also owned the Henry Clay Furnace, located one mile farther up the shore of the river, at a point known sixty years ago as Kelley's Tavern. Stack, fifty-six by twelve; capacity of both furnaces twenty thousand tons per annum.