magnifier
Image
magbottom
 
East mines at Morris Run, 1874.
Close Window

In the background of this photograph is the east mines. One can see the chute, workers, and stacks of coal refuse. In the foreground is a row of patch houses and yards.

Credit: Courtesy of David and Bev Jones http://blossburg.org/

The first efforts of coal shipping were on a very small and limited scale due to the poor road conditions and the poor navigating ability along the Tioga River. In 1817, a coalition of Bloss and other miners asked the legislature for funds to improve these routes.

Back to Top