Celebration at St. Helen Roman Catholic Church, Shoaf, PA, circa 1915.
Close Window

Image of the church, people standing outside, and company housing can be seen in the background.

Credit: Courtesy of Coal and Coke Heritage Center, Penn State Fayette,

In 1904, the H.C. Frick Coke Co. built the patch town of Shoaf for the workers at the Shoaf mine and coke works.  After the coal mine closed in 1951, the coke ovens continued to  operate into the 1970s, whent they were shut down by the state for their failure to comply with new clean air standards.

Back to Top